Built in 1941, Lima C/N 7817, SP 4449 with her sister "GOLDEN STATE" GS-4Class 4-8-4's (4430-4457) continued the tradition of "the most beautiful train in the world" that began in 1937 with the GS-2 class and the new highly successful coast daylight trains of that time. SP-4449 was retired in 1957 and donated to the city of Portland, Oregon. It came under the watchful eye of the R&LHS. 4449 returned to action in red, white and blue to help power the American freedom train in 1975 & 1976. In 1981, she returned to the rails in daylight livery for the inaugural "railfair" of the CSRM.