Almost two decades passed as EMD F-units, known as "Black Widows" performed the rigorous mainline chores throughout the SP system. They were operated on every division and most branch lines. The covered wagons F's began to displace steam engines in 1947. In the 60's, they themselves were displaced by second generation diesels. SP owned 770 EMD F-units, the largest fleet on any American railroad.