The Empire Builder, named in honor of James J. Hill (Great Northern's first President), began service in 1929. In 1947, it made its inaugural run as the first post-WWII All-Pullman streamline luxury train. typical power for the five 12-car trainsets was a -A Combination EMD E-7 units. Glacier national Park was but one of the many scenic beauties viewed by passengers. In 1951, the Empire Builder was replaced with the Western Star using the same equipment.