SP MW FLANGER 320

Built in 1941, Lima C/N 7817, SP 4449 with her sister "GOLDEN STATE" GS-4 Class 4-8-4's (4430-4457) continued the tradition of "the most beautiful train in the world" that began in 1937 with the GS-2 class and the new highly successful coast daylight trains of that One of 5 snow flangers assigned to and operating out of Roseville, California on the Sierra district mainline of the SP. The Central Pacific Railroad built the first flanger in 1876 and it has been continually refined to its modern steel configuration of today. It is normally pulled by 1 or 2 SD-9E's or newer GP-38-2's. It is normally the first line of defense called out in the snow fighting team of flangers, spreaders and rotaries.

Return to Buckle Page

back one page Top of Page Next page